Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Collinite 845 Insulator

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

Ok, so let me start by saying I’ve been detailing cars since I was 16 yr old. I did this through thigh school years to earn money. Then a deputy sherrif for 12 and then a Pastor for the past 27 yrs.Now retired but I still detail cars. I have used so many different kinds of waxes and then I saw Collunite wax in Amazon. The proof is in the pudding and I have to say this is by far the best wax I’ve ever used. To test it we just recently bought our son a KIA Sorento which was not garage kept; the paint was faded and I said oh well lets see, and low and bejlhold - no compounding- no prewaxing - no clay bar and my son and I were shocked at the results show room shine. Chemical guys don’t be offended but this by far is the best wax. Needless to say when I put in on my wife’s new BMW IT LOOKED LIKE WET PAINT!! By the way a little goes a long. Luke a quarter size drop on your applicator will do the entire hood on your car. I put my word on this wax!!!
Rev Joubert

What can be said about this stuff that hasn't already been said? This stuff just works! I've had my bottle for quite a few years and it protects just as well as it did when I first opened it. Remember, the key to a great finish and lasting protection with 845 is paint prep. If you don't at least clay bar your car or bike, you will not be happy. Would you take a shower without soap? Brush your teeth without toothpaste? Prep and application is the key. Also, remember to heat your bottle and shake the hell out of it!

On a side note, if your looking for your paint to pop while using this stuff, you may want to look elsewhere. While the protection is second to none, it will not provide, IN MY OPINION, a deep, wet shine. Might I suggest using 845 as a topper over Meguiar's NXT 2.0 or Blackfire Wet Diamond. I'd say on its own, it provides more of a soft glow than a deep shine. This is on an Apex Silver Lancer Evo X.

Buy with confidence!

This is my first purchase of Collinite 845. I usually use Mothers Liquid Carnuba Wax. I Love this Collinite 845 wax! I found it extremely easy to apply and wipe off. More so than the Mothers Liquid Carnuba which was harder to apply and wipe off. The trick when applying 845 as others have mentioned is to heat up the container in some warm water. This makes the wax thinner and easy to apply. I use Collinite 845 as a final protective coat after first removing the surface contaminants on the paint with a Speedy Surface Prep - Fine Grade Mat. (a fantastic product)

Then I go over the paint with a coat of Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Enhancer which is another fantastic product that is very easy to apply. Finally I hit it with two coats of Collinite 845 to give it a protective coating by applying a thin layer and letting it sit for approx two minutes before buffing it off with a microfiber towel. Water beads up nicely with this stuff. I'm sold. Just keep it away from the plastic trim.

I included a few picks of our Dodge 1500 - Hyundai Sonata (harder to tell on white paint) - and the hood of our 2001 Chevy Suburban all finished with Collinite 845 Wax.

I was originally concerned when I received my package because it came in looking like a hard wax. But I read that all you have to do is put it in warm water and it goes back to liquid. This is an amazing product with great hydrophobic properties and from every review that I have read it lasts for about 2 months of abuse or 6-8 months on a more stationary/garage kept vehicle. EASY to apply, even in colder temps (did my car in 51F temps yesterday) and very easy to remove. I let it sit 15 min because of how cool it was. Normally I'll remove it after 5 minutes with a soft low pile microfiber, in straight lines. Don't use a circular motion for application or removal.

First of all, at room temperature this product will be the consistency of... i dont even know.. caulk? its horribly pasty. Dont be scared when it ships that way; its not defective. Also, I dont think this ships with a nozzle/cap. So either order one or snag one off of a bottle of chemical guys product that has been sitting on your shelf for 2 years.

Before using, put it in a cup and run it under hot water for 5 min or set it in the sun.
After that, shake it like you've never shook anything. Shake it very hard.
once you've done that, grab a towel and squeeze the chunk of product in the nozzle that hasn't liquified out.

Apply, 2 to 3 pea sized dots to your applicator pad. Less is more with this product. DO NOT OVER APPLY THIS PRODUCT. YOU WILL BE IN A WORLD OF HURT TRYING TO REMOVE IT. as long as you've got a good amount of experience with applying waxes and sealants you should be good to go. This should go without saying, but some nice, high gsm, clean microfibers will help exponentially as well.

in the end, this product harnesses exceptional results with incredible longevity. I like to put this on top of wolfgang paint sealant. Follow these directions and you should be pretty happy with this product! Autogeek has some good forums on this product if you need a better explanation.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Combines high Gloss shine and legendary durability
  • Collinite #1 selling, "most talked about" Product
  • Easy on, easy off application
  • Unique durability and water beading 

Description

A user-friendlier version of the no. 476S paste, no. 845 stands as collinite’s most legendary product to date. Famous for its versatility, durability and DIY ease of use, “IW” is ideal for both small and large surface area jobs where lasting protection and timely job completion are desired, but hard buffing and frequent reapplication are not practical. Leaves behind carnauba shine and durable coating that preserves finish and shields against the elements; UV, rain, snow, salt, dust, dirt, grime, bugs, staining and more. Handcrafted and poured in the USA.



This stuff is the bomb. On my black car, I have so far used the following waxes/polishes/sealers/etc.:'

Liquid Glass: Very durable, shiny, and sort of difficult to get off without streaks. Beads water well, for months on end. I liked how shiny it was, but it seems to diminish the color, if that makes any sense. Put enough of this stuff on, and your black car parked in the sun will eventually look like a blue car, because you end up seeing the reflection of the sky off the car, instead of the black color.

Black Light: Less durable, very easy to get off cleanly. Enhances the color, with a shine that is a little less "sharp". Beads water pretty well, for about 2 washes, then fades. Smells like grapes. Oddly, when the car has been sitting in the sun and the paint gets hot, it smells like *roasted* grapes. Fascinating. I wonder if it has actual grapes in it!

...which brings me to Collinite 845. It appears to have actual carnuba wax in it, and is almost paste-like. It's almost like a mix of thin oil and wax. There's a process you have to follow when using it to get it to liquid form (below). The shine is great. It enhances the color, with a shine that is less sharp than LG, but looks better. It almost glows. This is the look I had in mind for a freshly-waxed black car (I'm picky, I know). Water beading is pretty impressive. Soapy water beads quite a bit. Rinse water, even more. It's kind of entertaining to shoot water across the hood and watch nearly all of it fly off the other side and hit the ground. The paint seems to hate water now, a useful trait when the paint is black.

When you order this stuff, you should also order some squirt bottles. Meguiar's sells some. When it arrives at your place, do the following: Fill a bowl with hot water, and put the bottle in it (with the lid closed, obviously). Let it get hot. Take it out, and shake it violently. Put it back in the hot water and repeat the process. Eventually, it will be a liquid. Open the top, and pour some of it into a squirt bottle. While it's still warm, get to work waxing your car, because eventually it will cool to a paste again, and you'll have to do the shake-n-bake process on the squirt bottle too.

Use a SMALL amount on a foam pad and rub it on. It will take a while to prime the pad, so you'll have to keep putting wax on it. Put it on the car thin, let it dry for about 20 minutes, and wipe it off with a microfiber towel (80% polyester, 20% polyamide). Sweet! Now, get a sealable sandwich bag, and put the pad in it. The next time you wax a car, the pad will be primed, and you won't have to use as much material. I waxed an s2000 (twice), a Civic, and a Toyota 4Runner and only used 0.125 (that's 1/8) of the bottle.

UPDATE: Having used Collinite on my car for a month or so, I've noticed something. It still beads water freakishly well, and still looks good. However, it seems to "scratch" easily. It's possible to scratch a wax finish without actually scratching the paint. Take something like, say, a chamois and dry off a section of the car with it. Most waxes on black paint will show cob-webbing or hologram effects from this, since a chamois surface, however soft, is still slightly abrasive. The tiny scratches are in the wax, not the paint. Thus it's best to avoid using a chamois on black paint. However, most waxes don't scratch in this way when you use a soft drying towel. This stuff does. It only shows in bright light, but it's definitely there. Also, I had my car parked at the corner of a parking lot while at a meeting, and a cat apparently jumped on it and walked around a bit. I noticed paw prints in the dust on the trunk. The cat apparently tried to walk around the passenger compartment, got to the door, and fell off (probably because the paint was so slick). The result was a long straight cobweb effect down the door. It's easy enough to repair, just put more Collinite on it.

I’ve heard this stuff was good. Well, it is!
Make sure to warm up the product before using by either placing bottle in a warm / hot water bowl or on the sun until it fully liquifies, and make sure to shake well. I used a microfiber applicator block, get the block primed and go for it. Apply as thin as you can and do small portions at a time, and wipe with a clean microfiber towel before it dries or you’ll have to work it out otherwise. If you apply it and remove it a few seconds later, this is an easy process, just don’t let this dry or your arms will regret it by the end. Seriously, you’ll use very little product as a a little goes a very long way. No need to over apply nor add layers, as there’s no added benefit. This will make your car paint super slick and as soft as a baby’s bottom for real. On your next wash it will be easy to dry and there’s very little water resistance. Drying is a breeze. I’m very impressed with this product. So far I’ve used it in two car. Awesome!

Overview: Collinite No.845 has a reputation as a very durable wax, thought I would need another brand as a top coat for deep shine but I was wrong, looks great by itself.
This is not a cleaner wax! You need to prep surface for good result(clay/chemical polish)
Pros:
* Exceptionally reflective <3
* expected to last at least 3 months outdoors(will confirm later)
* Fills in fine swirls and scratches
* Easy application with soft foam applicator(Tips below)
* Easy to buff off
* Multiple coats are great
* great on windows/mirrors and wheels!
* Doesn't haze on plastic trim like some waxes.
* Relatively in expensive
* 1-2 ounces coats a small car using foam pad.

Cons:
* Smell isn't great,but not terrible either. At least compared to other waxes (Not all that important though)
* Bottle has safety cap, and no nozzle to dispense(Fix below)
* Has to be shaken vigorously to get a proper mixture of solvent to wax

Tips: USE GLOVES!!! Car care products have nasty chemicals and solvents you don't need in your blood stream.

1. Wax is solid at 70*F and colder. Heat wax using warm water on the outside of the bottle to get it viscous. Shake well, Get a sauce dispenser (Photo available in gallery)and pour contents into the dispenser. this will make it easier to put onto applicator pad/MF towel.
2. Prep surface before applying wax by washing, claying, then prewax polishing.(this applies to all non cleaner waxes)
3. Waxing step: always warm the wax by putting the sauce bottle in a bowl of warm water (water at 90*F works well) and shake well before putting onto a pad. (Soft foam Pads work better than MF pads or towels IMO)
4. Use up and down patterns with low pressure for waxing, do not do circles (Will prevent swirls). work the wax into the paintmaking with the pad making sure complete coverage.
5. Allow to haze (takes about 10-20 minutes)
6. buff off the haze with a MF towel in the same up and down pattern using light pressure and fast short strokes
7. For Best results do another coat 12 hrs later (If not possible you can wait an hr)
8. Enjoy the Shine

Have tried turtle spray wax, eagle spray wax, mothers California gold glaze and carnauba wax, chemical guys butter wet wax (Looks spectacular but fragile). Wont be using those anymore.

In 2 years since I’ve purchased this wax, I’ve used it on my WRB WRX STI, and now on my new to me Caviar Black GS F with great results.

It’s very easy to work with, and by no means am I conservative with the application amount; I put it on thick by hand let it dry for 15-20 minutes, and remove it by hand with a microfiber - when removing, no powder residue, no oily haze or sweating of any sort. The beading properties of this are just amazing from my experience when it comes to waxes: not to mention the durability of it - even after 3 months of Central Florida sun the beading is still decently good.

Update: It's been about 3 months since I applied 845. The beading has dimnished a bit, going from small tight beads to larger globs, but it still repels rain and makes for easy cleanup of dirt/grime. I think it would last an entire season with no problem.

But after recently trying 915, I will only be using 845 as a winter prep wax. In my opinion, 915 is easier to use and has a much better finish, but I doubt it would hold up as well through harsh winters.

I think 845 is a durable wax with a slight learning curve; it can become an oily hologram-y mess if applied too heavily, which I found out the hard way after touching up an area.

Bottom line is this: 845 for durability that lasts as long as ULW (or longer), 915 for maximum gloss and depth, possibly with limited protection due to much higher carnauba content. More frequent applications won't be a bad thing, 915 smells better and is easy to work with! This is just my take though, your experiences may vary.

************
After using Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax for a while, I had to see what all the hype was about with this wax.

I transferred the contents into a clear condiment bottle first. It makes using this runny liquid MUCH easier! Smells kinda like Raid spray, not as pleasant as ULW. I washed and clayed the entire car, then applied the wax by hand with a microfiber applicator pad. It spreads easily, and looks pretty greasy upon application. On a cool surface, it hazes in about 10 minutes. It takes just a tiny bit of elbow grease to remove, but the results are worth it; slick surfaces and no stained black trim!

It looks just as good as ULW on a white car, but others may get different results with darker colors. Overall I think it's a good wax that should hold up through the spring and maybe through the summer. I'll update my review about longevity to see if it lasts as long as ULW.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment