Saturday, July 27, 2019

Design Engineering 010127 Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap with LR Technology, 2" x 50'

Design Engineering 010127 Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap with LR Technology, 2" x 50' Roll

Design Engineering 010127 Titanium Exhaust Heat Wrap with LR Technology, 2

EXCELLENT product. I've used a few different heat wraps/header wraps and this is the best so far. Unlike other "Titanium Header Wraps", this one is NOT made with fiberglass. It's a lava-rock composite that's woven together. Also different from other wraps, you don't need to soak this one in water before wrapping your exhaust. It goes on dry which makes it a LOT easier to manage. Gloves would still be recommended, but are not necessary.

One tip I can offer: When cutting the ends to prevent further fraying, apply some super-glue to the cut ends. Otherwise, you get into this weird cycle of folding the cut end and trying to wrap/pinch it in a way that keeps tension on the wrap without unraveling.

I have a gas water heater in my laundry room that makes it absolutely awful when the heater is heating water. The exhaust flew gets really hot and will burn you if you get close enough to it. I came up with this idea to insulate it (much like you would do with an car header) and remove the heat from the surrounding area. I carefully wrapped the exhaust vent securing the ends with a stainless steal tie wrap. Bingo, lowered the temperature in the room and the pipe is no longer a hazard. Though it is still very warm it will no longer burn you. The quality of the wrap is excellent, it lays down well and stays tight. I imagine it would probably work as well in an automotive application or anywhere else you need a wrap that can withstand high temperatures.

It works as advertised. Wear a mask and long sleeves, very very fine particles of the fabric gets airborne when handling the wrap. I did not notice it until someone walked by with a flash light. Can't be good for the lungs.

Tl:dr used for air intake, helped a lot

So here's what I did, i know this is for headers but mine arent worth wrapping, so i decided to wrap my metal air intake. I thought, if this thing is designed to keep heat in and help prevent it from spreading, why wouldn't this work for my intake. I wrapped my air intake and it actually does help!! And if there was heat in the tube, the cold air would get rid of it in a second and then its just bringing in cool air. I'm really happy this worked out, and it actually looks pretty cool to me :)

I use quite a bit of this stuff in my shop. Works really well and (I think) looks fantastic when done. Also, the price for this particular amount is well below what I can buy it through my wholesale distributors! Doesn't cause the itchy feeling of the standard product, but does make a "fibrous dust" that probably shouldn't be breathed on a regular basis (my opinion). Don't forget the stainless ties or hose clamps.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Titanium wrap is engineered to be stronger than most wraps and more durable for improved thermal performance and reliability
  • Withstands 1800 degrees Fahrenheit direct heat and 2500-degree intermittent heat
  • Promotes increased flow for improved performance; reduces temperature & vibration breakdown
  • Extremely pliable for a tight and secure wrap
  • High resistance to abrasions, oil spills, temperatures and vibration breakdown

Description

DEI Titanium exhaust wrap, with LR Technology, is made from pulverized lava rock and stranded into a fiber material and woven into a proprietary weave. Titanium wrap is engineered to be stronger than most wraps and more durable for improved thermal performance and reliability. Titanium wrap withstands 1800 degrees Fahrenheit direct heat and 2500-degree intermittent heat. It promotes increased flow for improved performance while reducing temperature and vibration breakdown. Perfect for any automotive or motorcycle application. Note of Caution: Wrap is not designed to be removed after it has been through heat cycles. After the fibers have been heated they lose their initial flexibility. This does not reduce the thermal properties of the exhaust wrap. Be aware of this before you decide to remove the wrap. Design Engineering Hi-Temp Silicone Coating spray is NOT recommended for DEI Titanium wrap. Note about Titanium Exhaust Systems: DEI does NOT recommend wrapping Titanium exhausts. The alloys used in the production of titanium exhaust systems tend to be thin and are designed to dissipate heat quickly. By wrapping the exhaust, the additional heat can make the titanium alloy turn brittle and prone to premature cracking. DEI recommends using alternatives such as their flexible heat shields when seeking to reduce the heat on titanium exhaust systems.



Listen a lot of people say that wrapping your headers doesn't make a difference. I can tell you from my experience that it does. The difference isn't like the car is going to magically be AC cold but the heat reduction is real. My feet no longer burn up and my cabin is cooler. I wrapped both my longtubes and it worked for me. However, there are two things you should note. Firstly, if you're wrapping headers like I was, make sure and buy around 100ft. And secondly, and I think the most important, MAKE SURE TO COVER YOUR BODY WHEN WRAPPING YOUR EXHAUST! Listen the fiberglass in this wrap is torture when it gets on your skin. Took me 3 days to get it out of my arms -.-' it felt like prickly needles cutting up my hands and forehands. Just be careful. The wrap works great though. I'll probably buy some more and wrap my x-pipe.

After tons of research, I came to understand that black header tape will eventually just fade to white within the first year, and I damn sure did not want white. I also didn't want to fuss with soaking fiberglass tape and all the hassle that goes with it. Then I discovered this product. Goes on dry. No fiberglass. Look GREAT. And won't fade in color. It's perfect!

I got this to wrap the pipe on my ATV (Four-Wheeler) as I was getting burned THROUGH the plastic body work. I had purchased an aftermarket exhaust system which significantly increased the temperature of the exhaust components. I wrapped the pipe from the point where it attaches to the engine, all the way up to the muffler. This, along with the purchase and application of Thermo-Tec Heat and Sound Suppressor ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PIIAZ0 ) lowered the temperature of my plastic body work from 120-125 degrees down to 100 degrees.
It has a pretty cool look to it, like carbon fiber, but all of my pipe is hidden behind plastic so that didn't matter to me. You will need metal hose clamps to keep it wrapped around the pipe. Please ignore the zip-ties in the included picture. They were only used to hold the material as I was applying it. Hose clamps were installed and zip-ties removed.

This seems to be a fantastic quality! The trick is keeping it on. I haven't found great stainless zip ties, but if you wrap this tight enough, you could almost 'tie' it. I currently use this on my upgraded downpipe and it appears to keep engine bay temperatures lower than without.

DO NOTE: this thing 'smokes' and has a distinctive odor for a good long while after initial install. This is known/normal. But good to keep in mind, if you're installing this and come back to park and notice something 'smoking' from the engine bay. My brother thought we'd done the installation incorrectly or had an exhaust leak, until I informed him that this was a normal byproduct of the wrap 'settling.' It eventually goes away (in my case it took about 2 weeks for there to no longer be any noticeable 'smoke,' and almost 4 months for there to be no noticeable odor)

UPDATE Oct 16th
Worked excellent for 600 miles, till I saw what the redirected heat was doing to the rest of the exhaust system.

It worked better than expected, but on the Polaris sportsman 570 oem exhaust; it turned out to be not such a good idea.
Being it has 2 joints held closed by exhaust springs, the springs where forced to soak up the heat, even with stainless bands through the spring eyelets, to help keep the joints closed.. the Lead gaskets got hammered.
And the extra heat forced through the muffler caused damage to a dust cap for the sway bar.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment