Friday, August 30, 2019

Power Stop S4790 Performance

Power Stop S4790 Performance Caliper

Power Stop S4790 Performance Caliper

Installed on 2000 Ford F350 powerstroke 7.3.

Perfect fit. Nice thick fire engine red powdercoat. However these calipers are hardly what I would consider "performance caliper". They are nothing more than rebuilt O.E. calipers with lip stick. That being said, they are still worth every penny and a steal at this price. 100% rebuilt with new components, and it comes with the bracket. I am very happy with them and they look great with the Powerstop drilled/slotted zinc rotors. Buy them you won't be disappointed ... or ... drop another $1000 to get true performance calipers. Still a better choice than calipers from Autozone , etc.

Update - Used them about 2 months now ... no issues.

All parts fit well. After some adjustments everthing works and the improvements I was seeking are apparent.

I was having minor issues with my original calipers and instead of trying to figure out if it was the sliders, hose, or caliper I purchased all new parts.

This was not my first brake job and have installed aftermarket brakes on all vehicles I have owned.

Some points to consider for others., and the reason I did not give five stars.
1. The powdercoat gave me some issues on getting proper clearance for the driver side caliper bracket (no issues on the passenger side), specifically the inside lower brake pad stainless retainer was making slight contact with the rotor.
2. The drivers side caliper bracket bolts were sugnificantly over torqued (the bracket and caliper ship assembled) and required a full length torque wrench to break loose (normal assembled torque for these bolts is only 42 ft lbs.). Again passenger side was fine.
3. The passenger side caliper bleed valve was equally over-tightened and working on breaking it loose was easier once the caliper was mounted with all bolts tightened.
4. Although all of the caliper sliders were lubricated with "premium silicone" I thought it was inadequate. So I added brake lube to the slider pins (CRC Ceramic Silicone) which greatly improved the ease of movement.
5. No instructions or torque specs come with the product, but my Haynes manual gave me what I needed.

I bought this kit and the Power Stop K1905-36 Front Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Kit, installed them both on my 2000 F350. Wow, what a difference! My truck hasn't had brakes this nice in the 12 years I've owned it. Installation was very easy as well. Installation tip: some of the powder coating got into the threads of the brackets, it was easy to resolve by running the bolt through the bracket a few times before mounting them to the truck. I've read reviews about damage on the powder coating, mine were perfect. I've put about 1000 miles on these so far, both pulling a trailer and not, and they stop straight and true every time. My truck even feels like it rolls easier, if that makes any sense. This is an awesome brake package, I highly recommend buying it. My rear calipers and rotors are next! Outstanding product!

I replaced both front and back calipers using this brand, and added new factory Motorcraft brake pads purchased at the dealer. Rotors had less than 5k miles, so I didn’t replace them.

First, these work great – they are slightly better version than Fords OEM units.

The calipers are hidden behind the wheel and you’ll be hard pressed to see the sexy new red calipers with the wheel on. But when I’m putting them on, I don’t want to see blemishes in the powder coat. Each caliper had some sort of powder coating blemish.

This isn’t a show truck type of product. That said the red color does make it easier to work on the brakes. The color switch does make it easier to bleed the brakes because you can see them better under the truck.

Amazon does need to figure out a core return policy. Otherwise parts like this will dry up for all of us.

My OEM calibers were pretty wasted and sticky, slides seized, these came with all new hardware installed and bolted on like a champ! Were original Ford castings, coated in a fairly thick powder based coating, although it will scuff. Just wish I could send the cores somewhere instead of them sitting unused.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Electrostatic powder paint resists corrosion
  • 100 percent pressure tested to prevent leaks
  • Brand new components including bleeder screw, hardware and pins
  • High temperature EPDM rubber for extended life
  • Remanufactured in Chicago, IL facility

Description

Power Stop performance brake calipers are made specifically with the enthusiast in mind. These calipers bolt directly in place of the stock calipers, and they look and perform great behind stock or custom wheels. The caliper and the bracket are remanufactured in Chicago, IL facility and treated to a high-temperature red powder-coating. All new premium boots and seals are used, along with high-temperature silicone lubricant on the caliper pins for long life. Premium abutment clips are included where applicable.



Note: Manufacture notes that it should work on a pre 3/99 Ford F250 4x4 Fronts. I installed them this weekend along with same slotted rotors K1887. Now it was either the rotors or the caliper that was just a 1/16th too tight. So to elevate this all I did was install a 1/16th galv washer the same as caliper bolt to clear the rubbing on the rotor. Was the same on both sides. Works fine.

Used these for our 2001 Excursion 4x4. Got all new pades, rotors, and calipers for all four wheels. We do tow a trailer with it and got 2 years out of them before the front right caliper quite working. Not bad for half the price, compared to Ford part, but still feel like two years wasn’t long enough.

These work great on my F350 diesel carrying a 5,000 pound camper in the bed. They fit perfectly and were easy to install, my truck now stops straight and true every time. And the red paint adds a splash of color.

I have these on the front and rear of my 2000 Ford F-350. After continual problems with the stock brakes I finally decided to take a chance on something aftermarket. WOW! I'm glad I did. I have been running the new brakes for almost a year now without issue. I will mention it is critical to follow the manufactures break in process.

Perfect fit - replaced all stock calipers at 80k miles due to one sticking. These are painted rebuilt calipers but seem to be rebuilt well. Brakes no longer stick.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment